The Christ of Havana was inaugurated on December 25, 1958, with the presence of Fulgencio Batista.
The monument is part of an entire architectural complex that characterizes the entrance to the old port of Carenas, discovered by Sebastián de Ocampo between 1508 and 1509.
The Christ of Havana has a height of twenty meters on the base of three meters, taking into consideration the esplanade on the hill where it is located, its height rises to 51 meters above sea level and was built with white marble from Carrara The statue is formed by 12 horizontal strata with 67 pieces that overlap in the interior and its weight was estimated at 320 tons. This was designed and built in Italy by the sculptor Jilma.
For its maintenance and conservation the statue has been restored three times in the years 1960, 1980 and 2012.
Today it is part of the agenda of the majority of tourists and travelers who visit the capital. Here you will enjoy the details of the sculpture and also beautiful panorama of the Vintage Havana.