Driving in Cuba – this is a great opportunity for travelers who want to discover the best Cuban destination and enjoy all about its culture and people. Travel on your own across island and plan your daily schedule the way you like. The norms and regulations of transit are very similar to the international ones, especially to the American. Here are some important driving tips that you have to considerate.
1- The signaling of the conductors with the hands is very typical, habitual and many of them are essential.
This happens when you have a vehicle in front of you that goes in the same direction and the driver makes these signals.
1.1- When the driver puts his left arm horizontally, it means that he is going to turn left. If it were to the right, he would put his L-shaped arm up. To brake the left forearm would be L-shaped down.
1.2- For overtaking, the left arm would be moved from back to front.
- Driving at night is not recommended due to poor lighting, byways, crossing cows and others animals. That’s why we always recommend, do all the transfers during the day, and much better if it is early in the morning.
- Never try to take a shorter route or ways than the main road, even if on the map you can see that there is a road apparently. In Cuba, many backroads are under construction and renovation, so always drive along the main roads.
- When any vehicle that comes in the opposite direction signals you with its lights, you have to drive more careful and moderate the speed for the next kilometers – there may be some traffic control (it is a way to help each other)
- In the curves, especially the two-way in the same direction, it must drive carefully, because they usually cut the curves and not stay in its lane.
- All overtaking is by left but it is always advisable to whistle one or two times before making any overtaking. This is especially on road and highways. It can also be the case that you advance on the right, although this is strictly prohibited.
- Take Your Map – Although there is more signalization on the road it is high recommended to take your map to have better knowledge which is the correct way to reach your destination.
- The fuel in Cuba can cause a great headache around the island. Although there are enough gas stations there is the possibility that in some gas stations there are no fuels, therefore always fill your tank by any opportunity. You’ll save many inconveniences.
- In case you receive a traffic fine, you only have to pay in the place where you must return your rental car, in the rental agencies.there may be some traffic control there may be some traffic control
Let’s start the Vintage Vacation
Cuban Distance Guide
The island of Cuba is not as small as often suspected. With an area of about 110,000 km² you have to plan accordingly: at least four weeks is necessary to visit most of the interesting cities and regions.
1- The E-bike brings more flexibility for your group or family trip
2- Diving Tour in Jardines de la Reina with Avalon II luxury yacht
3- The new better way to travel in Cuba
4- Experience the hidden virgin beaches around the island by campervan