This beautiful colonial house and now museum is located in the neighborhood San Francisco de Paula in Havana. The house is still called Finca La Vigia and was the place where Ernest Hemingway wrote nine novels including “For Whom the Bell Tolls” and “The Old Man and the Sea (El Viejo y El Mar)” and lived from 1939 to 1960. Finca Vigía was built in 1886 on a hilltop by Catalan architect Miguel Pascual y Baguer
Before he left Cuba, the land he always considered home, Hemingway bestowed Finca Vigía to the island’s people. He also left his forty-foot boat, Pilar, to his Cuban companion Gregorio Fuentes.
Visitors peering out of the window panes can see the huge shoes stacked in the bathroom and an endless row of more than 8,000 books placed on shelves.
It is the sanctuary of a man who made his home in Cuba, which he reflected in his best novels and most of his chronicles.