- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Mail (Opens in new window)
El Yunque of Baracoa. It is the most famous elevation in Guantanamo province. It has a height between 400 m and 575 m, which appears as a result of the differential erosion of limestones and is located approximately 10 km.
Of the city of Baracoa, Guantánamo. It presents a form similar to that of an anvil of work to strike metals and constitutes a true artistic work of the nature. It is a natural site with degree of protection value. This site has natural, historical, environmental and cultural values. It is located within a protected area. It forms part of the Cuchillas del Toa biosphere reserve, with the category of Outstanding Natural Element.
Landscaping is a site with aesthetic value within the Cuban nature, in the most eastern region of the country and is part of the oldest peniplanación level of Cuba. It is visible from any point of the city of Baracoa. It has a very varied vegetation and fauna, with endemic species. Some researchers place it within the Yateras-limestone formation, constituted by hard biogenic limestones, sometimes aporcelanadas, of rosaceous white color, chestnut, or calcified cream and fossiliferous. It possesses a type of plateau carso constructed by sedimentary layers carbonated.
Hiking the Sendero Juncal-Rencontra, including a longish detour to take in a set of magnificent waterfalls at the end, is about 10 km long and takes a good 6 hours. The hike starts at the visitors centre, and anybody wanting to go on the hike has to hire a guide.
Tips for Hiking El Yunque
“remember that this region is very tropical. It means , it is hot and humid”
- Carry a lot of water even some snacks or a packed lunch, as there is nothing on the way
- Make sure to travel with good quality hiking boots
- Wear or take a swimsuit, in case you make it to the waterfalls and have to cross the river
- Talk to your guide before you start the hike. Ask how long it is going to take.